Wednesday, November 18, 2009

PinEwOoD DeRbY

Tonight our family went to the church to watch Jackson race in his first pinewood derby. Jackson and Parker have been working hard on his car and loving the bonding time they have spent together. We have been counting down the days and Jackson even wore his scout shirt to school today in honor of the derby! It was fun to see every one's car's and to have such a great turnout. For those of you that don't know, the pinewood derby is a pretty big deal to say the least. We've spent weeks preparing, staying up into the wee hours of the night huddled over Jackson's little derby racer, carving every fraction of a millimeter off to get the perfect design. Tonight was the culmination of a long haul, it was the end of the journey for our little scout. When we first walked into the gym you could smell the fumes of setting glue, feel the grit of fresh graphite, and see the terrified looks on parents faces. This is a kids thing right? Race after race we watched and cheered our little Jackson on. Every time they called Jackson's name, my heart would skip a beat and my stomach would twist itself into a knot. I closed my eyes for a moment before they let his car go hoping he would win, but quickly thinking of things to say in case he didn't. They dropped the hammer.... There was silence in the gym, ok it probably wasn't silent, but it was silent in my head. In a little less than four seconds it was over. I could FINALLY breathe again! The gym erupted with laughter, screams, and excitement. Jackson had WON! We couldn't have been happier with him and his attitude throughout the night. He continued his streak and was having the time of his life. With the races completed, Jackson had won, he was the grand champion derby racer, with a perfect record! WHEW....... Finally I can relax, knowing that Jackson did well. I was looking forward to no more late nights, no more sawdust on my freshly cleaned carpets, no more worrying, just peace and ..... (Parker interrupts me about now with "Honey I'M SAD, I can't wait to do that AGAIN!") OH WELL, so much for peace and quite. He's already planning his next car with our little Jackson!
Photobucket
Photobucket
It's derby time!
Photobucket
All the boys did an amazing job!!!
Photobucket
3...2...1...GO
Photobucket
Jackson's car is #1
Photobucket
Jackson got a trophy, blue ribbon, and a movie "Down and Derby"
we're going to watch it together tomorrow!
Photobucket
I love my boys! and love how much they love eachother!
Photobucket
CONGRATS Jackson and Parker!....Until next year :)

5 comments:

The Andersons said...

oh how fun!! I am terrified of ours cause i have to plan it all and i have no idea what its all about!!! ah! luckly i got lots of people to help!!! way to go jackson!!!!

Kiera said...

How fun!! Great story, excellent pictures, and awesome ending! Congratulations to Jackson (and Parker!)

When are we going to play???

Erin said...

Hey Liz! I think it was you who called me today, around 4. Sorry we were at the BYU football game. But I do want to babysit again! I miss seeing you and your little kids!! :)
-Erin Horne

Sheri said...

Okay, when Dawson hits cubs, we are calling Parker!! We are not ashamed of copying!!!!!That is great! What a win, and we expected no less from those two boys!

Charla Ann said...

That's Awesome. :)