Wednesday, September 24, 2008

ThE giFt Of SiGhT

For years Parker has struggled with poor vision. He'd never tell you this because it bothered him, but he'd always sit in the front of the class (which really isn't a bad thing unless he'd show up and there were only seats in the back), squint or pull the "Chinese eyes" (as I like to call them) so he could read or even see someones face from a distance. Last year he took me to Wicked in Denver and he couldn't even see it, on the road he could read street signs as he passed them, .....etc. My Dad has been telling him for years that he was missing out on life and he just needed to go in and get them checked and get contacts or glasses. Well yesterday we did one better. He got LASIK surgery! It was a long day, driving to Salt Lake and then taking care of him as his eyes were burning. One comment he made yesterday was that it wasn't worth it (because he was hurting) which made me nervous. But last night after lots of eye drops and a long nap he woke up and looked outside. The look on his face was worth a thousand words. "I can see every leaf on that tree", "I can see the street sign and that guys face from here", "I can read the things on the fridge from the dinning room", he kept saying things like this all night. It's been a real eye opener for me (honestly, no pun intended). This is honestly a miracle!!! I have watched for years as he has struggled and now he's basically been given new eyes and a chance to see this beautiful world we live on in full detail. It has made me think of the many things that I take for granted everyday. I am so thankful that I have been blessed with a healthy body and that I can see everything that our heavenly father has created for us to enjoy. I am also so thankful for modern medicine and technology, both have played a major part in day to day life, but has also saved 2 of my children's lives and has now made my husband able to see the things that he has been missing. I'm also thankful for opportunities like these that help me be more grateful and remind me of the simple things in life. I hope that these feelings that I'm having will last, I'm going to work hard on looking for the everyday miracles that are all around me.

13 comments:

Shaunee said...

I am jealous! I have wanted Lasik for a long time. I'm glad to know it's not too bad, though... Maybe one day!

Nelson said...

Hey Liz and PK! That was really great what you wrote. You're picture is so cute as well. It's lovely to hear how happy Parker is. He still sounds as stubborn as he used to be...(wonder where he got that from ;P ) Anyways, congrats on the successful surgery. It's amazing to think of how many small things we take for granted that others cherish so dearly, and when we look for them, it's beautiful to see the blessings we are given.

Naoma said...

That is so awesome!! Neil has poor vision too, but he wears glasses and wants Lasik sooo bad. Someday! Modern Medicine is pretty amazing.

Sheri said...

Wow!Who knew that Parker was struggling like that, well we are glad that he can see everything now. We hope the recovery is going smoothly! Take it easy Park!

Rachel Sue said...

I totally know how he feels. I haven't had lasik, but the first time I got glasses I remember driving home and being amazed that everything was in 3D and didn't all blur together anymore! It really is a wonderful feeling. PS. that is a really cute pic of you guys!

The Andersons said...

oh my gosh i totally want to get that done! i remember when i was 20 and i FINALLY got contacts after like 5 years of being BLIND! it was just like that! i know that feeling. its sooo much better! now if i could do it without the contacts... lasik here i come! you guys are seriously a really cute couple by the way. no wonder you have gorgeous kids!

Anonymous said...

That's so great for Parker. I totally get what you mean about taking in all the little things we take for granted. Remember my post about being blind in the bathroom? :) I'm super grateful for site.

Wonder Woman said...

Sounds like Parker sees like me - good enough to get by without, but miserable and mildly unsafe. I wasn't able to wear contacts when I was pregnant. When I finally got them again......WOW! I said the same things, "I can see every leaf on that tree! Look at the mountains! I can read that sign!"

I can't believe that he's never had glasses or contacts, but that's GREAT that you were able to get surgery for it. CUTE picture, by the way.

Paula-Adam said...

that awesome and what a CUTE picture of you two.....

Cathy said...

That is so wonderful! Thanks for such a wonderful post. It's a nice reminder of how blessed we are to be able to see the leaves on a tree each day. I'm thankful for that.

The Riley's said...

That is a way cute picture! I worked for an eye doc for a long time and it was so cool to see kids put glasses on for the first time and just grin. It is so crazy what we take for granted.

Shanna said...

seriously... that is the coolest story. I am with you on how I take a lot of things for granted. It makes me appreciate things a little more when you hear stories like this one. I am so blessed in so many ways too. Thanks for sharing and yay for your husband. What a miracle!!!

Naoma said...

That would be way fun.. email me with your number and we will get together neilnaomawilkinson@yahoo.com