Wednesday, April 2, 2008

April Fools

I love April fools day! I think some of it runs in my blood... no one can pick a prank and pull it off like my Grammy. She's GOOD! So the night before I was trying to plan what I was going to do, my brother Scott called and asked for ideas. He told me he was putting Jello in their toilet. My first thought was that Jello in the toilet would lead to other surprizes and pranks that my kids would try and pull on me, probably for the rest of my life. I can only imagine the kinds of things they would try and stick down the swirling vortex of no return, and this would lead to me having to make a call to our friend Bo, who is a plumber. So.... Jello was definently OUT!!!

I decided to stick with FUN (safe) food ideas. I made blue german pancakes for breakfast, Parker was nice enough to eat them, because he thought they looked so nasty there was no way they would taste good. I also set the table with BIG serving spoons, the kids loved it. By dinner the kids had forgotten about "fools day". I called them for dinner. I had made mini hamburgers and cupcakes. The hamburgers were cookies with york patties, green coconut, and red frosting. The cupcakes were sheperds pie with pink mashed potateos on top ( I got the recipes from family fun magazine).


Photobucket


My kids had no idea what they were in for! After the prayer, they both picked up their hamburgers and started eating. I was actually impressed! I've never offered them dinner and dessert at the same time and I thought they'd start with the cupcake. They looked at each other and then at me "mom, why is there chocolate in my burger?....... and the bun kindof tastes like a cookie" Jackson had the best look on his face. The kids disected and ate their "burgers", then they started on their cupcakes. Chloe dipped her finger in the frosting and tasted it, she pulled the "yuck" face. She was expecting something sweet. We got laughing as they tried to eat their very cheesy "cupcakes". They both had two and woke up the next morning asking for more.

Photobucket

9 comments:

Rachel Sue said...

What a fun idea!

Wonder Woman said...

What a fun mom you are! I am amazed at all the creative things you do for your kids. I need to see all these ideas *before* the holidays so that I can do them! You're the coolest, Liz.

Kiera said...

I've said this before and I'll say it again...You are such a good mom. I need to pick your brain on all the fun mommy ideas you have.

Erin said...

You are just too much!

Cathy said...

Liz, I hope you keep blogging these fun things so I can learn from you and hopefully be as good of a mom as you.

Anonymous said...

I can't get over how adorably fun you are with your kids. You've really embraced motherhood. When Peter and I start having kids, you'll be the first person I call for ideas.

Banks Family said...

That is a great idea for kids. I think all the things I could think to do on that day arent very nice. Good thinking!

Anonymous said...

What a cute idea. I was a totaly bummer this year... maybe next year. Jackson and Chloe are darling! I love the picture of them together.

Kass Martin said...

that is the cutest idea. Doesn't surprise me one bit that it was YOU that did it. You are always so crafty I love it. It was so fun at lunch yesterday. Just what I needed. Thanks! I am going to embark on getting Bridget's curtains done sometime in the next week so here goes nothin'!